Severe Weather Readiness Part 1 – Creating a Communication Plan
Severe weather season is upon us. It is time to be proactive and take steps to protect your family and home from severe storms before they hit. These steps can save lives and minimize damage to your home or business. Many families can find themselves disorganized and unprepared when a storm hits. When preparing for a storm, it is important to have a Severe Weather Plan and make sure everyone in your home knows the plan, in case of emergency. This part of our Severe Weather Readiness Series will focus on establishing the Communication Part of your Severe Weather Plan.
When establishing the Communication Part of your Severe Weather Readiness Plan, take these questions into consideration:
- How will my family/household get emergency alerts and warnings? Some cities and counties have emergency alert systems to call, text, or email you in case of an emergency. Find out today if your city or county provides this service.
- How will my family/household get to safe locations for emergencies? Identify where your family will go and how they will get to your safe location. Does your city or town have a community safe room?
- How will my family/household get in touch if cell phone, internet, or landline doesn’t work? Did you know that Text Messaging may work better during severe weather than a phone call? That’s because Text Messaging uses less bandwidth than a phone call. Also, messages can save and send when internet access becomes available in case of an outage.
- How will I let loved ones know I am safe? Be sure to document in paper form all contact numbers you will need to alert your loved ones. Carry this document in your wallet. Here is an Emergency Contact Numbers Form from FEMA.gov to record your contact numbers. Also record the contact information your insurance providers and utility providers. Use this Insurance Provider List and Utility Provider Checklist from Floors to Ceiling Restoration to record this important information.
- How will family/household get to a meeting place after the emergency? Establish a meeting place for your family for after an emergency and ensure all family members know where that place is – and how to get there.
Part 2 – Emergency Supplies coming soon!
Floors To Ceiling Restoration is a Dallas, Texas property damage restoration company specializing in WATER, FIRE, and STORM damage repair. We have 24-Hour Emergency Service at 469.446.9410.